The combination of colours in this Tomato and Green Bean Salad remind me of the Italian flag! This mediterranean side dish is a great accompaniment to any meal but I especially enjoy it with these tender ribs.
You know what I look forward to most about the impending summer? Being able to get fresh produce locally like string beans! Do you hit up farmers markets too? If we had any room left in our backyard, I’d probably even grow beans too!
We’re not making the full recipe as written because it’s just the two of us. And I prefer to make this fresh each time than to have leftovers.
Trim the beans.
Then cook them in boiling water for 5 minutes.
I personally dislike waterlogged beans. So here’s our trick. We grab the salad spinner and give them a spin! The spinner isn’t just for salad :).
Be sure to use an extra virgin olive oil that you love in this recipe. Measure out the oil and cut the tomatoes. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and combine to mix.
Sometimes I’m not even aware of what’s in the background when I’m snapping pictures, so don’t be confused by the blueberries (another thing I love to pick up at the farmers market). Usually when Hubs and I are in the kitchen together we have other things on the go, like gluten free blueberry muffins.
Finally add some feta on top. We actually didn’t have any almonds when we made this recipe but always add them to the dish when we do. The toasted almonds add a crunch this green bean dish is missing otherwise!
Leave it in the larger bowl to serve family style or serve in individual bowls.
Pin Tomato and Green Bean Salad
Pin it for later; you’ll love this green bean salad during BBQ season!
Tomato and Green Bean Salad
- 1.5 pounds green beans trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup kosher salt for blanching
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley can substitute basil for the mint and parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 1/8 cup toasted almonds to garnish
- Cook green beans in water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain beans in colander. Spin away water in a salad spinner - or use a clean dish towel to dry. Combine beans with everything but cheese and mix. Sprinkle feta on top