Do you ever just hang out in front of an open fridge and draw a blank? Those are the days that we really don’t know what we want for dinner. Well, if you have a couple red peppers, any kind of rice, some canned beans and corn and some jared salsa, you’ve got a quick and simple dinner with this mexican style stuffed peppers. Try it for meatless Monday!
Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers
This is one of those ‘recipes’ that’s SO simple, I wasn’t even going to write it up. When using stuff you already have on hand, have fun with it. Just taste as you go and you can’t go wrong. Throw in a few spices and you’ve got what we call Mexican style ‘pantry peppers’!
We start with a package of Floating Leaf Wild Rice & Quinoa (blended with whole grain and lentils) from our pantry. Prepare it according to package directions.
Cut and de-seed the peppers.
To save on cooking time, we place the red peppers in the microwave first to soften them a little. It’s best to add a microwave lid over top.
Measure out the rest of the ingredients. Start out with a half cup of mild salsa, then add more if the mix seems dry.
If your salsa is already spicy you may not need additional spices. But if using mild salsa like us, raid the spice drawer and add spices like cumin, chili, garlic powder, salt and pepper. The flavouring is really up to you depending on now spicy you like it. Try a 1/2 teaspoon of each, then give it a taste.
The secret to good cooking is to taste your food as you prepare – just like real chefs! If you like more spice, bump it up to one teaspoon of each. Tasting your food at the prep stage gives you the opportunity to fine tune to your own taste :).
Then simply mix it all together and stuff the peppers.
Cover with foil and bake.
If you have some shredded cheese on hand, garnish with it!
The beauty of this dish is that if you have any filling left over, you can just use it as a side dish the next day.
Pin for Later
Pinning is always welcome and appreciated! Want more great recipes? Subscribe to Birdz of a Feather and check out our recipe category, The Unknown Chef! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.
Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers
- 1 can black beans 14 oz (398 ml)
- 1 can corn 14 oz (398 ml)
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 cup rice or rice mix cook according to package directions
- 1/2-1 tsp cumin
- 1/2-1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cheese optional garnish
- Cook rice according to package directions
- Remove stems and cut peppers in half. Scoop out seeds and bitter white membrane.
- If you want less baking time in the oven, you can soften red peppers in microwave for about two minutes at half power. Adjust baking time accordingly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Open cans and rinse black beans and corn to remove starches.
- Mix together cooked rice, beans, corn, salsa and spices. If using hot salsa, you may not need additional spices so add to your own taste.
- Stuff red peppers and place into baking dish cut sides up. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes covered. At this point you can add cheese if you like it melted. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until soft and cheese if bubbly. Note that if you microwaved the peppers first, you'll likely need less cooking time.