Although I serve this mango and avocado slaw dish with cod as the protein, I adapt the recipe for Hubs.
Do you have picky eaters in your household too? If so, you can make this same dish, but just switch out the protein. So while I make this with fish for me, I cook chicken for him and serve it with the same mango and avocado slaw. And we’re both happy!
Since we’re only cooking for two, you may notice that we halved the recipe in the following pictures.
A little cabbage goes a long way when you’re only cooking for two. so I only cut off a small portion since we could only find a large cabbage.
Then I slice it fine.
I find our food processor doesn’t shred fine enough. But even it if did, a serrated knife works great for this task.
Keeping Avocados Fresh
Here’s Hubs’ trick for keeping avocodos from spoiling. Let them sit on the counter until almost ripe, then pop them into the fridge. At first, I thought refrigerating avocados was a crazy idea. But it really works and they’ll keep for a week longer.
Cook the cabbage in a teaspoon of oil until it’s soft.
Cut the avocado and mango the same size. I like it chunky like this, but you could cut it finer for more of a salsa.
If you don’t like heat, be sure to remove all the seeds from the pepper.
Mix the mango, green onion, jalapeño and avocado ingredients together with olive oil and seasoning.
The fish cooks in a skillet at first, but then goes into the oven to finish baking.
I cook Hub’s chicken at the same time.
I never take chances with any protein. So I use a digital thermometer to ensure it reaches the proper temperature before removing from the pan to slice.
Presentation-wise, I ensure we can tell the difference between the two dishes. For me, I just pile everything on top of the fish as you saw at the top of this post.
In contrast, Hubs’ components are neatly arranged on the plate.
By the way, if you have leftover red cabbage, don’t reheat it for breakfast the next day with eggs unless you have a thing for Smurfs. It will turn your eggs blue :).!
Pin Cod with Mango and Avocado Slaw
Pinning is always welcome and appreciated!
Cod with Mango Avocado Slaw
- 1 large mango diced
- 2 avocados diced
- 1/2 small red cabbage shredded
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 1 lime or equivalent juice
- 4 Tbsp grapeseed oil divided (plus an additional Tbsp if also cooking chicken)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 cod fillets (or substitute chicken) 2 lb total
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and dice mango and avocado. Shred cabbage finely. Finely chop green onion. Seed and mince jalapeno. Zest and juice lime.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, add 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil and heat. Add cabbage and cook until softened, stirring occasionally. Remove to a dish too cool. (Optional): at this point, if you’re also making chicken add an additional tablespoon of oil to the pan and sear the chicken on both sides. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from pan and let rest 5 min. then slice chicken.
- In a large ovenproof skillet over med-high heat, add 3 tbsp oil with butter. Season fish with salt and pepper and place into pan. Sear for 3 minutes then flip fish and place into oven for 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- While cod is cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve proteins warm on individual plates with mango/avocado/slaw either on the side or on top.