Love fried chicken? Perhaps you made a new year’s resolution to cut back. Well you’ve come to the right place because these are the crispiest chicken wings ever!
This recipe lets you have all the crispy crunchy goodness without frying! Yes, you read that right – no oil, no muss, no fuss; but all the flaaaay-vour! If that weren’t enough, it’s also gluten free.
3 Secrets to Success for the Crispiest Chicken Wings
The first secret to crispy chicken is dredging the wings in corn starch with spices. Corn starch is a star when it comes to browning!
Use about 12-15 split wings for this recipe. Double everything for a bigger batch.
The second secret is non-stick foil. I’ve tried to use regular foil, but the wings just stick, then you loose all the crispy exterior you worked so hard for!
Lastly – and this is most important – pat the chicken DRY before coating or you’ll get a gloppy mess! Your chicken won’t crisp if your chicken starts out soggy.
The easiest way to do this is to shake ‘n bake. Do you remember Shake ‘N Bake when you were a kid to? I do and it pales in comparison to this recipe! You just mix all the dry ingredients, add it to the bag and add in the wings. Then shake away.
For a small batch like this (a dozen), I put it into our Breville convection toaster oven at 400 degrees. After 20 minutes, we turn the wings and let it cook for another 20 – 25 minutes until browned and crispy.
Favourite Spice Blend
My favourite spice blend for these wings in Spendor Garden Southern Fried Chicken Seasoning. It’s one of the few spice blends that’s certified gluten-free and made in a gluten-free facility. We found it in Canada, but I’m not sure if it’s sold in the U.S.
If you can’t find it in your market, you could probably make your own mix if you had the following ingredients. However, have fun and experiment with your own spices!
We also add additional salt, pepper and chilli for a bit of heat.
When we’re done with the prep work, we use a spray bottle filled with bleach & water to spritz anything that came into contact with the chicken. We let it soak for a bit then we wash up while the chicken is cooking.
You can serve this with blue cheese dressing, if you’re so inclined, but we like plain ‘ol sour cream with some sprinkled chives from the garden.
Watch the Video for the Crispiest Chicken Wings
(and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel)
Watch this video, then get the printable recipe below!
Want more gluten-free recipes? Browse our Unknown Chef category here.
Pinning is always welcome and appreciated!
Crispiest Chicken Wings - Without Frying
- 12 - 15 Chicken wings, split
- 2 TBLSP cornstarch
- 1 tsp Spendor Garden Southern Fried Chicken Seasoning Use a heaping tsp. of your favourite seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder This isn't too spicy, but leave it out if you don't like spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and turn on convection if you have it.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and add to a plastic bag large enough to allow room for tossing. Dry wings with paper towel if damp. Add the wings to bag and toss until thoroughly and evenly coated.
- Arrange the wings on a baking tray covered with non stick foil. Cook 20 min and turn over. Cook until they are crispy brown on the outside but still juicy on the inside, about 45 minutes in total. If not crisp, leave in a bit longer.